Sunday, October 10, 2010

Richmond's Petroglyphs




Here are some modern day petroglyphs. I found plenty of engravings in sidewalks around Richmond and I bet you found a ton too. The top picture makes me wonder if the engravings were done in one time setting or did people added more engravings over time. If the engravings were done over time I definitely start thinking about the idea of repetition and ritual that we talked about in class. In this case, there will be a double meaning for the idea of repetition. There is the repetitive motion of carving into the sidewalk and the repetition of a person (or people) continuously coming back to carve something new. While ancient petroglyphs utilized symbols and images more, the modern sidewalk petroglyphs I found turned to words, with the exception of my middle picture.

For some reason I have the sudden urge to add a triple spiral engraving to the sidewalk block...I wonder why...

1 comment:

  1. I love that you called this modern day petroglyphs. When learning about the ancient petroglyphs in class I definitely thought of the carvings I've seen in sidewalks/trees/random things around Richmond. I think that carvings in sidewalks in modern day shows that there is some kind of innate human nature, that has transcended centuries, to make some kind of mark in the earth showing that we were here. Good work!

    ReplyDelete